Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Avoiding Bloat

This is a good discussion.  Stepping back, I'm seeing three broad topics:

1: Strings
(well discussed already)

2: Images
Sharing an image makes it API.  Thus there is always a "do we want to keep this around forever" discussion.  Also, we'd like to remain free to change the contents of the image but there's concern about images re-used in a different/unknown context and whether the change could be bad for the consumer.  That said, I think the tendency has been to open up more and more images, with the idea being that they're likely to stick around anyway so we might as well share them.  It doesn't address the content change issue though.

3: Code
Reducing code bloat has both a positive impact on the size of the SDK (as do the above) but to me, more importantly, a positive impact on the required brain size to program Eclipse.  And a positve impact on the maintenance cost, both of the SDK and the downstream plugins.  I've always believed that code breeds more code.  I was wondering if folks on this thread had specific ideas on simplifying our code weight.

That said, I suppose strings and images are an easier place to start.

Regards,

Kevin

Mark_Melvin@xxxxxxxx
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/15/2008 10:08 AM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Avoiding Bloat

I think something similar already exists in the platform but is internal.  I'm not sure how stable/useful it is but Ctrl+Shift+T for "StringPool".

Mark.

Boris Bokowski <Boris_Bokowski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/15/2008 09:51 AM

Eric Moffatt wrote on 10/15/2008 09:36:56 AM:
> As far as Strings go Wikipedia indicates that java already does some
> form of this through a technique called 'interning', why should we
> try to compete?

Because there is never an easy answer ;-) ... interned strings use that especially precious "perm space" memory on some VMs. See for example:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=741223

Boris