Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Avoiding Bloat

I think something similar already exists in the platform but is internal.  I'm not sure how stable/useful it is but Ctrl+Shift+T for "StringPool".

Mark.

Boris Bokowski <Boris_Bokowski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/15/2008 09:51 AM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

Eric Moffatt wrote on 10/15/2008 09:36:56 AM:
> As far as Strings go Wikipedia indicates that java already does some
> form of this through a technique called 'interning', why should we
> try to compete?

Because there is never an easy answer ;-) ... interned strings use that especially precious "perm space" memory on some VMs. See for example:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=741223

Boris