[eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] RE: [resources] Faceted Project Framework, anybody?

Hi,

I don’t have enough context to evaluate whether the Faceted Project Framework would fit the bill for what you guys have been discussing, but I can certainly provide information about what it is to help you make that evaluation. First, make sure not to miss the building facets tutorial (http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-BuildingProjectFacets/tutorial.html). Scan through it and you should have a decent idea about what it is.

Here are some other general statements that might help…

1. Facets are akin to Project Natures on steroids. Whereas natures are pretty basic and have to be hidden from user’s view by specialized tooling, facets are fully-described and fully-tooled to let an average user manipulate them directly

2. One of the original goals that led to creation of the framework was the desire to stop proliferation of specialized project wizards for what effectively amounted to the same “project type”. The second part of that goal was to put to a stop to all the adhoc “Enable X functionality” menu actions being attached to projects.

3. The Faceted Project Framework allows precise modeling of tooling capabilities as they relate to capabilities of the target platform. This is critical in the app server space, but the problem exists in practically every other space as well. You wouldn’t want to use generics if your target platform is a 1.4 VM, you wouldn’t want to enable tools for building WPF UI if your target platform is Linux, etc.

Hope this clarifies and don’t hesitate to ask if anything is unclear.

Oracle
Konstantin Komissarchik | Consulting Member of Technical Staff
Phone: +1 425 201 1795 | Mobile: +1 206 898 0611
Oracle Eclipse Tooling
411 108th Ave NE, Suite 2100 | Bellevue, WA 98004