RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources] File systemlayer requirements

> We'll need to look at other potential features 1 by 1. The Eclipse
> strategy of not adding features without an existing client or use case
> has proven well so far, or would anyone argue in favor of adding API
> now for E4, just because "we might need it eventually"?

I'm not a fan of trying to roll new features without having consumers signed up to use them and provide feedback. We haven't had success any time we've tried that in the past. Given that we really are trying to push the limits here though, it may be that we will have to be the consumers too, at least some of the time.

For example, I can imagine a very simple user scenario:
1) Start an Eclipse
2) Connect to two workspaces, one local and one remote
3) Copy a resource from one workspace to the other (with progress indicators).

Even just that would be allow you to experiment with things like connection API, sync versus async, remote deltas, etc.

McQ.

Back to the top