Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Straw man proposal

Doug,

That's what I thought you meant ;-) Is it valid to summarize this as saying that, in the simpler cases, the user could possibly perform their team operations in their application layer view but for more complicated cases, they would need to perform team operations in a file system view? For instance, if I have a single file system root for all my workspace projects, I may want to perform a sync of the file system root and not on the individual projects? And, for your example, I would like to load a file system root and then indicate which sub-folders should be projects (or sub-folders in projects) within my workspace (or use a set of buckminster load rules to populate my workspace for me).

Michael

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Schaefer, Doug <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks, Michael. I think it's important to support existing workflows, such as checking out projects as we do today. My point is that we should extend the current set of wizards and framework so that users can do team operations without having to deal with setting up projects. I've seen a number of cases where users are forced to set up their environments outside of Eclipse using the command-line version of CVS since the Eclipse CVS integration doesn't support the way their command-line peers have set up the repository.

And it doesn't need to be a native client. I'm not suggesting we throw away the CVS client we have in Eclipse. We may need to extend it to support these operations. But users expect these clients to work to the same level as their command-line counterparts. One of the things that bugs me about the ClearCase Remote Client is that it doesn't implement all the operations I need, like reqmaster, and I do have to go to the command-line at times to do my work.

And it seems to me to be a prerequisite if you are to take advantage of the flexible resources that you have the source set up in the file system first. The root tends not to be a project so you need to be able to check out a CVS module, for example, to somewhere on the user's file system and then have the projects created based on what he checked out.

But, of course, we also need to support the existing environments were these integrations work fine as is.

Doug.

From: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Valenta
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 8:50 PM
To: E4 developer list
Subject: Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Straw man proposal

Doug,

I don't agree with the statement that Team providers should use a native tool to bootstrap your Eclipse workspace (i.e. you used the phrase "how team systems should work"). I think that the user should have the option to use the native tool if they so choose but I think that many users appreciate being able to setup their Eclipse workspaces using checkout (load, etc) wizards integrated in Eclipse (i.e. I can't imagine what life would be like if I had to use the CVS or SVN command line clients to checkout projects from those repositories and then import them into Eclipse).

Or were you describing this from the standpoint of a desirable architecture for a repository provider implementation were a native client is used for the operations on the local file system and the integration in Eclipse is handled through a layer on top of that that makes any changes on the local file system known to the Project layer so it can be passed on to the application layer? I know this is done in many cases but does have drawbacks, mostly related to responsiveness of the UI during long operations (e.g. progress reporting, cancellation, resource deltas).

Michael