Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Straw man proposal

On Oct 2, 2008, at 8:18 PM, Schaefer, Doug wrote:

Hey gang,

To feed the discussion for tomorrow's resource meeting, I have put together a straw man proposal for the e4 resource system architecture. I'm sure it has a lot of holes and I'm hoping you'll help me fill them. I could also be totally on the wrong track and maybe there's better answers we can put on the table. But let's discuss.

The proposal is here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/Resources/Strawman

Since we have intentions of running bits of eclipse on the web - "We need an advanced Java editor that can run both on the desktop and the web" (Steve Northover, this list, 2008/09/19) - then as we talk about "resources" we should be talking about the web model for the resources as well.

For instance, if we imagine a RESTy architecture for this (I'd suggest this as the first pass), then we need to talk about the resources (things on the server), the representations of those resources (bytes the clients see: source code, modelled views of source, etc), the URLs of those resource representations, and the HTTP verbs that are supported.

Some thoughts from Henry Story related to this (web and IDEs anyway), here:

   http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/webifying_integrated_development_environments

Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org/

Back to the top