Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] TK-UI parser - why Flute?

> What about the license of Flute? I recall this is a W3C license. Is this
> compatible? If there is a chance to use this parser with Eclipse, I'd
> like to have a closer look, too.

I *think* its ok but IANAL. The flute.jar COPYRIGHT.html points to this:

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-software-19980720

which says:

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation, with or without modification,  for any purpose and without fee or royalty is hereby granted, provided that you include the following on ALL copies of the software and documentation or portions thereof, including modifications, that you make:
1.        The full text of this NOTICE in a location viewable to users of the redistributed or derivative work.
2.        Any pre-existing intellectual property disclaimers, notices, or terms and conditions. If none exist, a short notice of the following form (hypertext is preferred, text is permitted) should be used within the body of any redistributed or derivative code: "Copyright © [$date-of-software] World Wide Web Consortium, (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, Keio University). All Rights Reserved. http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/"
3.        Notice of any changes or modifications to the W3C files, including the date changes were made. (We recommend you provide URIs to the location from which the code is derived.)

One concern I have is the statement on http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/SAC/ that says that Batik is "Smaller and faster than flute!".
A larger concern though is, is anyone actually maintaining Flute?  The download url says "/2002/06" and the zip content file dates are 2002 or earlier.  Seems like dead code.

Kevin

Back to the top