Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] CSS and declarative UI round up

Hey thanks Benjamin, interesting.

Ugh, its GPL though :(   Well still worth knowing about as a data point.

Kevin

Benjamin Muskalla <bmuskalla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/28/2008 11:03 AM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] CSS and declarative UI round up

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the techniques used behind this project nor will
it be interesting to be ported over to Eclipse. I just stumbled across
this and though it would be worth to share for this discussion.

JavaCSS - Provides CSS support for styling Swing and JavaFX components
https://javacss.dev.java.net/

They also provide a webstart demo to play around with a simple UI and
it's css definitions.

Maybe we can take a look how the solved specific problems already
mentioned on this list.

Best greets
 Benny

Kevin McGuire wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Over the course of discussions, many folks have come forth with a
> favorite CSS/ declarative-UI implementation.  So much to choose from!
>  So much to know!  As a first step, I thought it'd be helpful for us
> to have a roundup of them all so we can discuss their pros and cons.
>  Eventually we'd all like to see some working CSS code in e4
> eclipse.org repo and at the moment it seems the main problem is we
> have too many to choose from (a great problem to have!).
>
> What I had in mind was:
>
>     * Those who have some technology they'd like to bring forth
>       prepare a small presentation of its pros and cons.
>     * We have a call where they are presented.  We can as a group then
>       better understand our requirements and which technologies fit
>       those.
>     * Ideally we would have three presentations of 1/2 hour each
>       (including discussion), plus wrap up discussion, so two hours
>       max for the call.  I'd prefer a shorter call but I don't think
>       that's realistic.  If we have more than three presentations then
>       we can split it into two calls, since I don't know about you but
>       my attention span nears zero after 2 hours.
>     * Our goals should be selecting the technology which will be the
>       initial commit for the purpose of investigation.  We may change
>       our minds later, but we need to start with something.  If there
>       are two (or more) favorite technologies we can commit both, like
>       we have the EMF/non-EMF modelling work.
>

> What do folks think?
>
> If we like this approach, I'd suggest we aim for a call in
> approximately two weeks, to folks time to prep.
>
> Kevin

Benjamin Muskalla
Innoopract Informationssysteme GmbH
bmuskalla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.innoopract.com
Tel:  0721 - 66 47 33 - 0
Fax: 0721 - 66 47 33 29

According to Section 80 of the German Corporation Act
Innoopract Informationssysteme GmbH must indicate the following
information:
Address: Stephanienstrasse 20, 76133 Karlsruhe Germany
General Manager: Jochen Krause
Registered Office: Karlsruhe, Commercial Register Mannheim HRB 107883