RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Some food for thought

I raised a similar point in my blog. I'd definitely like to see Eclipse as quick and nimble as Emacs (mind you Emacs isn't all that speedy but it is nimble). And users who have large projects on slow file systems who really just want a good editor with all the fancy source navigation features like open declaration and content assist need this as well.

I'm hoping we can do something on the resource front to help make it easier to launch eclipse on individual files, just like a text editor.

Doug.

From: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Milinkovich
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:31 PM
To: 'E4 developer list'
Subject: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Some food for thought

Two interesting and thoughtful blog posts from developers who have [1] left Eclipse for TextMate and loves it and [2] from someone who points out that few developers use all of the functionality provided.

Money quote:

The simplicity of the application and the ease of its extensibility is too inviting to ignore and I’m very excited about seeing how far I can push this little editor. It’s beautiful, lightweight and speedy—attributes that weren’t associated with my old Eclipse IDE.

They may be unscientific data points, but they are also thoughtful and reasonable points of view.

I am still personally hoping the IDE portion of E4 is targeted at being Faster. Smaller. Simpler.

[1] http://particletree.com/features/eclipse-to-textmate-an-ideological-change/

[2] http://www.ericdelabar.com/2008/06/hammering-screws.html

Mike Milinkovich

Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228