Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] YAMI (Yet Another Model Interface)

Michael,

I think they could all be unified by EMF and thereby avoid YAMI. In other words, I think all these interfaces could quite easily be implemented by an underlying EMF model. Not only that, I expect that YAMI itself could be implemented with an EMF model much like Ecore. And sadly, I expect that if we do YAMI, eventually we'll do YAMI Two, because all good things appear to be followed by an even better sequel. After all, folks are working on SDO 3.0 as we speak, though I'm not sure anyone has done very many cool things with SDO 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, yet...

In all seriousness, I can only hope that as we rise from the depths of hash maps and DOM, we learn lessons from them as well as from UML, XML Schema, EMOF and SDO, before we do a sequel to any of those or to any of the things you've listed below. If we can't do better do significantly better than any of these, and especially if we have trouble distinguishing a model from a meta model, then lets not bother with yet another incarnation of these same things...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265 (t/l 313)

Inactive hide details for Michael Scharf <Michael.Scharf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Michael Scharf <Michael.Scharf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          Michael Scharf <Michael.Scharf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          04/28/2008 05:26 PM

          Please respond to
          E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Eric Moffatt wrote:
> This is why I've been proposing YAMI (Yet Another Model Interface); if
> it were simply another API supporting the same functionality I'd be
> justifiably shot (I'd do it myself...;-). What I'm hoping to be able to
> do is to at least allow our users to have a 'common' api through which
> they can access the underlying information in a consistent manner; we
> make one more API but they see at least 3 -less-.

I am on the same page here. I think at least the following interfaces
could be unified using YAMI (which are at least 5):

  org.eclipse.ui.IMemento
  org.eclipse.core.runtime.IConfigurationElement
  org.eclipse.jface.preference.IPreferenceStore
  org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.IDialogSettings
  org.eclipse.debug.core.ILaunchConfiguration

Do you have a concrete proposal for YAMI? Or is it a
vague idea?

Michael