Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] What I dislike about using EMF for e4...

McQ,

I'm definitely aware that EMF's core runtime likely contains some things that aren't needed in all cases. It's likely though that a good fraction of the Eclipse applications are using EMF already, based on the EclipseCon survey and the download stats on the Ganymede packages:

I would also assert that that EObjects really do feel just like DOM.

And I would argue strongly that DOM is not nealy as simple and folks like to believe. The amount of time I have to explain basic DOM things to people continues to surprise me. For example, the mysteries of xmlns prefix scoping seem to escape even people I assume to be experts. The listener model is far from trivial. So if being as good as DOM is our bar, it's a very low bar indeed, only slightly higher that the hash map bar. :-P

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265 (t/l 313)