Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] E4 probably too late?

Is there an example app yet for the animation or effects APIs?

regards,
-Chris

Steve Northover wrote:

Assuming that GC works, they they should work too in a browser. Also, native widgets on plaforms such as Flex and WPF can do amazing things and e4 is hoping to tap into some of this. The animation and effects API (portable between Flex, Dojo and WPF) is a first attempt.

*Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/15/2008 08:06 AM
Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

	E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject

Andrey Platov schrieb:
 > Hi Ed,
 >
> As for Jim van Dam's approach, I'd agree - it is not only compelling, it's natural aproach to UI development and similar to JavaFX/UI. The devil in the details: how we will transform higher level UI abstractrions into final representation. Atomic block in "old UI" composition is a widget. Atomic block in JavaFX/WPF is a 2D graphics primitive. These technologies treat Classical Widget as a composite of lower-level primitives, and these primitives available on every platform (which is not true for Widget-based approach) - just to support Jim van Dam's run everywhere point. This is not conceptual shift, but
 >
> 1) few years ago we were not able to develop such UIs due to CPU/GPU performance limitations (and this was main reason why SWT was born).

Well so you suggest that SWT is going away from native widgets drawing
everything on the GC? I agree with you that there are amazing things one
can do. Seeing controls like [1] are amazing but the problem I see is
how to make them cross-platform (e.g. draw them in browser).

Tom

[1]http://www.hexapixel.com/ribbon/