Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] RCP in E4

One of the features of the initial 'modeled UI'  demo was that it's ability to display (and keep up to date) a 'Workbench Window' is that the UI model and its renderer(s) are completely independent of any specific usage. This code could (and IMO should) surface in JFace. This would allow folks that simply want a shell with menus/toolbars, trim and sash/stack support wouldn't need 'RCP' at all. Note that one of its design requirements is that it be far easier to 'customize' the look of the resulting UI.

This only directly helps a small (but significant) subset of RCP users however; RCP provides many other capabilities that many application developers will need. Perhaps we should be looking at parceling these capabilities along 'service' lines. By this I mean that an RCP app would choose (via dependency injection?) which services it needs and have that drive the derivation of the plugins required to support -that- setup. That way a particular app can decide that it only wants the SelectionService and, presumably, get a smaller deployed footprint as a result.

Onwards,
Eric

Back to the top