RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Agenda for the e4 Summit

Hi Jeff,

I really like the idea of position papers.  Its a good forcing function for us all to organize our thoughts, and helps introduce the participants to each other.

What do people think?  It works best if we all commit to writing one.

Cheers,
Kevin

PS. I read the "Open Space Technology" wikipedia link John included before.  I wonder who'll be the bumble bee? :)

"Jeff McAffer" <jeff@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/12/2008 11:49 AM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'E4 developer list'" <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Agenda for the e4 Summit

This is a fine line that we have walked with the p2 and Equinox summits.  On the one hand you want all interested parties to feel welcome on the other we are shooting for some actual results.  People with skin in the game are ideal.  They have the power to act on things, drive directions, make contributions.  The way we but it for the provisioning workshop was

“This is not a meeting for managers or observers, it's a workshop for do-ers - people who have code or real-world experience to contribute or can provide other substantial information that furthers the goals of the workshop.”

Something we did for the Equinox summit was to ask people for short position papers:
“Writing a short positioning paper outlining your usecases, requirements and potential contributions really helps.”

This helps both self-identify individuals ideas/code/time to contribute and harvest content for the discussions.

As for setting up the agenda etc, I agree with John that spending the bit of the summit level setting and gathering topic is great.  We then voted on breakout session topics with some light moderation to ensure diversity an coverage.  First day was aimed at discovery of issues, topics, directions.  Second day was more aimed at progress on key areas and then we summed up with some action items and near term planning.

I would suggest no more than 4 break outs at a time.

Just some thoughts based on some past summits.
Jeff

RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Agenda for the e4 Summit

That's a great point John. This will play on how big a venue we need as well. We really need to highlight that this is intended to be a working event for potential contributors. If we get as many people that attended the e4 talk at EclipseCon, then I don't think that'll serve us well.

Doug.