Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] SWT thread in managed runtimes

Ok, we are talking about two different things.

Somehow C programs work on mobile devices.  I'm afraid I don't have all the details about MIDP but it sounds like it is defined to be unfriendly to native widget toolkits.  Just saying that a restriction is lifted won't really help here if it can't be implemented (like on the Mac).  What do you suggest we do (other than what OSGi has done already)?

"Gorkem Ercan" <gercan@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-incubator-e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/08/2008 05:09 PM

Please respond to
E4 developer list <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"E4 developer list" <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] SWT thread in managed runtimes

The need for the thread actually comes from the mobile device
runtimes. On devices we run SWT (eSWT) with eRCP and MIDP runtimes.
eRCP runtime is an easy case where the Display is created but the
runtime container but on MIDP Display creating is the responsability
of the applications and because of the way midlets work it requires
the application to create a thread for this purpose. If the underlying
toolkit presents a limitation I have described then creating and
running SWT UI thread on any thread becomes impossible.
Another problem is some toolkits have a restriction that they allow a
single toolkit initialization per process and they are usually bound
to a thread. if the runtime uses the native toolkit for some reason
(splash screen, error dialog etc), then Display must be able to reuse
the thread.
--
Gorkem