Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] SWT thread in managed runtimes

Tom

> org.eclipse.core.runtime.applications allows to have one application
> per process right? So there are is no need to share the ui thread
> among different applications.

By default this is true.  Applications are singletons per process by
default, this is defined by the cardinality attribute of an applications
extension.  The Equinox application container is flexible enough to allow
applications that are more cooperative.  For example, you could imagine
multiple applications sharing the same SWT display.

> How is the splash screen handled? Splash screen also requires the use
> of native UI thread and possibly the creation of the native equivalent
> of Display. Some toolkits allow one per process and they are bound to
> the thread. In this case SWT Display will not be able to reuse it.

The splash screen is handled by the native launcher which uses the
first thread to create a native splash shell.  There is some
SWT magic currently going on to allow SWT to use the splash
created by the native launcher for the SWT Display.  If we
introduce applications launched on other threads then this
hand off may not be possible.  The current splash screen story
in Eclipse assumes a single application launch per platform
launch and it assumes the splash screen is for an application
that is run on the first thread.  We will have to revisit this if we
want to have splash screens for multiple applications launched with in
the same running instance of the platform.

> --
> Gorkem

Back to the top