Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Initial discussion on the 'modelled' workbench UI

I call this 'reinventing the flat tire' because the result isalways worse that some other 'real' wheel...;-).

:-)

Ed's comment "Using EMF models would be a boon because they would directly enable a rapidly growing stack ofmodeling technology." is (to me)
somewhat scary because most of our clients don't want a 'rapidly growing'
anything, they want a rapidly -shrinking- platform (thus e4). The general
fear is that EMF may already suffer from the 'bloat' and intra-package
dependencies that we're trying to eliminate in the platform.

Of course the version of EMF that would be put to use
in E4 would be a new, evolved version of EMF, where some
of these (alleged) issues could be addressed if they really
exist (I don't perceive EMF as big and bloated).

Also, I think being able to reuse the "rapidly growing" modeling stack
is actually an advantage, because it allows E4 to really just implement
a minimal core (e.g with a simple scripting/CSS-like config language)
while still optionally keeping the doors open for more powerful approaches
if people want to use those.

If we're anticipating having the model as a 'first class' concept then
we're talking about placing it much nearer to the eclipse 'core'
(equinox?). At this level size counts!! At minimum I'd expect that JFace
would depend on it so we can provide 'modelled' JFace viewers, etc. Right
now someone can simply get JFace/SWT and some GUI done...how much extra
footprint would be needed to support EMF?

just a hint: if you look at what XUL or Microsoft's UI markup
language do (I forget the name) than this is very similar. Done
right (i.e. if the minimal core is isolated) then it's certainly
feasible

Markus

--

Markus Völter

voelter - ingenieurbüro für softwaretechnologie
Grabenstrasse 4, 73033 Goeppingen, Germany
Tel. +49 (0) 171 / 86 01 869
Email: voelter@xxxxxxx

Web: http://www.voelter.de
Blog: http://www.voelter.de/blog