Re: [eclipse-dev] Issues with module-info.java in interactive Hello World tutorial

Thank you, I have created an issue: https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.ui/issues/1309

Yours,
Daniel

On 03.04.24 12:15, Manoj Nalledathu Palat wrote:

Agreed that this would be helpful. Could you please create an issue at jdt.ui? [https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.ui]

Regards,

Manoj

From: eclipse-dev <eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Daniel Schmid via eclipse-dev <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 3 April 2024 at 3:43
PM
To: eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Daniel Schmid <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [eclipse-dev] Issues with module-info.java in interactive Hello World tutorial

While working on the article on Eclipse for dev.java (https://github.com/java/devjava-content/pull/77), I checked the "Create a Hello World application" interactive tutorial on the welcome screen.

In the Step "Create a Java project", the option "Create module-info.java file" is ticked by default in the project creation dialog (on a new workspace).

In the next step, it asks people to create a class. However, it doesn't mention anything about setting a package which suggests using the default package.

This causes an issue because the default package cannot be used so I think the tutorial should be adapted to not create a module-info.java file.

Where should I create a bugreport for that? Is that tutorial part of JDT-UI?

Aside from that, it may be a good idea to prevent creating any classes in the default package as long as the project is modularized in order to prevent confusion about the error happening after that.

Yours,
Daniel