Re: [eclipse-dev] [jdt-dev] Moving JDT's LTKbundlestoeclipse.platform.text?

I never talk about Gerrit links ;-) Look at it again.

Dani

From:        akurtakov <akurtakov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:        09.11.2017 16:23
Subject:        Re: [eclipse-dev] [jdt-dev] Moving JDT's LTK        bundlestoeclipse.platform.text?
Sent by:        eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Indeed, moved content won't be available any more. But I don't get why this is more an issue than removing any other file in a Git repo. What makes it a possible blocker here?

Because it affects tons of files. It would be good to have a redirect in place.

Dani, are you speaking for open Gerrits or for gerrit links in cgit?
For the former - there aren't that many open gerrits or we are doing really bad job in welcoming people to contribute. Even if there are ( less than 100 gerrits against jdt.ui repo, not sure how many are against ltk bundles) - applying them before or rebasing them would not be that much of effort.
For the later - I am all for preserving history, context and etc. but when this goes to a state where it prevents further improvements and rationalizing of our procedures, codebase, collaboration it becomes more than obvious that we have hit a limit in how much can be preserved in a sane way. Furthermore, personaly I have a special feeling about gerrit links being considered that important now - it always felt like duplication and waste of resources to have BZ and gerrit. BZ is our ultimate tracking tool and bz links will not get broken so gerrit changes will still be accessible through bz links. IMHO such a gerrit redirect would be nice to have but in no way a pre-req for driving some part of the project further.

Dani