Re: [eclipse-dev] How to make most out of UI freeze reports?

I suggest to cross post this question to the SWT mailing list

Am 28.01.2015 14:10 schrieb "Marcel Bruch" <marcel.bruch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi eclipse-dev,

you may have noticed that with M4 the EPP committer package has enabled sending freeze reports to eclipse.org. On some days these freeze reports make up to 90% of the traffic but since many of them involve deeper knowledge in SWT (which I don’t have) I’m seeking your advice on how to get most out of these ui freeze reports.

There are a couple of frames that occur more often than others in a freeze like org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.TrackPopupMenu(OS.java:-2) or org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DefWindowProcW(OS.java:-2). Their frequent occurrence, however, does not necessarily indicate a problem in SWT. Thus, I wonder which data/information an SWT developer would need to peak his interest on a particular problem.

I try to group similar freezes into single pages - like [1] for OS.DefWindowProcW. At the moment we found 49 distinct people reporting similar issues with that frame. However, I’m still not sure what to expect. Freezes are in the range of 1 up to 10 seconds but one may argue that the system was under heavy load.

Thus, I’m asking you (better the SWT devs on this list) what would you need to look into such a problem? Is information missing? If so, which one? Is it a matter of process that you need to be made aware of these issues? If so, would email notifications suffice whenever, say, a freeze problem was reported more than 10 times (in milestones)?

Please let me know what you think. I’m happy to provide the necessary tools to help spotting issues.

Best,
Marcel

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/committers/confess/#/problems/54c4f37ebee810030da0b034/details

--