Re: [eclipse-dev] [ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

That's a great point. I'm sure there are a lot of companies like that. This indeed would provide that firewall while getting the improvements you and others need.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.
From: Walter Harley
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 8:41 PM
To: General development mailing list of the Eclipse project.
Reply To: General development mailing list of the Eclipse project.
Subject: Re: [eclipse-dev] [ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

I work for a company that has hundreds of developers using Eclipse.  We would probably be able to find money to fund Eclipse developers (and we do indeed also spend a lot on IntelliJ seats).  What we cannot easily do, though, is make our own developers into Eclipse committers.  The company is very worried about IP leakage (both for legal and security reasons), and the Eclipse committer agreement doesn't fit well with our other legal obligations.

Being able to pay money to the foundation in return for support and improvements would create an IP firewall without which we probably cannot make a realistic contribution.