Re: [eclipse-dev] [ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

I think many agree with the points there. The question is when do we start fixing them? And who?

I limit myself to JDT challenges:

It's quite possible to build smarter content assist (quick fix, quick assists, code completions…) using more clever heuristics and the like (I'm not speaking about code recommenders stuff here).

But it's quite hard to build these things on what's in JDT at the moment. It's not designed to be extended from outside and extensive searches, traversing hierarchies etc. depend on (too slow) indexes or are even computed on the fly when needed the first time. Although this is general okay, it renders these important functionalities useless for code completion.

The challenge here (in my opinion) is that creating a new / improving the existing infrastructure will be very time consuming and costly.
The JDT teams appears to be at its limits with Java8 support. Same as with the platform, developers are needed that help improving JDT. We'd need some companies that step up and provide developer resources or sponsor  3-5 additional developers for JDT over, say, two years.

The interesting part is that companies with thousands of developers that use JDT would benefit from every single minute their developers save with an improved Eclipse. Maybe it shouldn't be a single company but an interest group of 5-10 member companies? Small companies like ours can't sponsor but we can offer our services to help improving things in JDT's infrastructure as part of a long-term initiative.

Marcel