Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Post-Notes - March 4, 2009

> We had a discussion about memory performance. We consistently require more
> heap than we did in the past for regular self-hosting usage. We need to
> either significantly improve heap performance or increase our default
> maximum heap settings.  Frederic will coordinate investigation of where the
> space is going, but all teams should be looking at their memory usage with
> an eye to what has changed since 3.4, potential leaks, etc.

I would suggest that committers using a Sun VM run with the default
heap settings and add the command line argument
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError to their eclipse.ini (after -vmargs).
This will cause a heap dump to be written to disk when an
OutOfMemoryError happens (and causes no overhead until then). Should
you end up with a heap dump, it can then be analyzed using
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/MemoryAnalyzer .

Boris

Back to the top