RE: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Oct 8, 2008

Hi Mik, thx for the pointers, this is very interesting.
The reason for moving to httpclient is to have some of the connection / networking problems solved. In p2 we are not looking at using httpclient directly but instead it is an "implementation detail" on how ECF handles the connection. Now given that neither p2. the SDK nor Mylyn want to be in the business of transport, I think it would be great if you could engage with the ECF community to compare your approaches on problems / solutions and thus come up with one solution addressing everybody's needs. What do you think?

Inactive hide details for "Mik Kersten" ---08/10/2008 01:07:22 PM---Fyi, org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.net has a dependency on org."Mik Kersten" ---08/10/2008 01:07:22 PM---Fyi, org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.net has a dependency on org.apache.commons.httpclient (3.1.0) from Or

"Mik Kersten" <mik@xxxxxxxxxxx>

08/10/2008 01:07 PM

RE: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Oct 8, 2008

Fyi, org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.net has a dependency on org.apache.commons.httpclient (3.1.0) from Orbit. It’s redistributed in all package downloads other than Classic. It provides all of the additional facilities we found useful for making HttpClient connections from Eclipse to repositories like Bugzilla (e.g., proxy configuration, user agent setting that lists the eclipse.product that’s running, connection monitoring and cancellation support, and filling other gaps in httpclient).

If there’s interest in reuse, just let us know.  If not, consider looking over some of that code, since the cancellation support was not that fun to implement and was required for us since we found some httpclient connections to block indefinitely in the presence of flaky network conditions.  Here are the relevant bits of the manifest of org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.net:

Require-Bundle: org.apache.commons.codec;bundle-version="1.3.0";visibility:=reexport,
 org.apache.commons.httpclient;bundle-version="3.1.0";visibility:=reexport,
 org.apache.commons.lang;bundle-version="2.3.0";visibility:=reexport,
 org.apache.commons.logging;bundle-version="1.0.4",
 org.eclipse.core.runtime,
 org.eclipse.core.net
Export-Package: org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.net,
 org.eclipse.mylyn.internal.commons.net;x-internal:=true

Mik