Re: [eclipse-dev] Ant build submission -- down leveling plugins versions after API freeze

Martin Aeschlimann wrote on 05/13/2008 06:09:54 AM:
> Our plug-in might still compile against 3.3, but does it really run with
> 3.3? Can we promise this without really testing it?

The problem with this is that, if you follow this attitude, you will always end up requiring an exact version even when there is no evidence that you need to.

In a component oriented world, it is the job of the producer to make sure that their version numbers actually capture whether or not they have done things that will prevent consumers from "really running", and it is the job of the consumer to not overconstrain their dependencies.

Otherwise, our assemblies end up being so brittle that it becomes impossible to implement the interesting scenarios, such as "shell sharing" of multiple, co-located products.

Back to the top