[eclipse-dev] Updating schemas to take advantage of identifiers

In the last arch call, I mentioned that people should consider updating schemas that are relevant to take advantage of the new schema identifier attribute. Most of the information you need is in this blog post:

        http://mea-bloga.blogspot.com/2008/02/cooking-in-pde-kitchen.html

Note that not all references can be expressed using this feature. I was shooting for simplicity and also the 80/20 rule when coming up with this functionality. For example, stuff like partId (in actionPartAssocation) that references both viewId's and editorId's can't be expressed. However, if the schema expressed things different that partId was an element and it contained a list of viewId's or editorId's as children, then things would work beautifully. In the future, we should come up with some best practices how to define extension points that involves referencing identifiers in other extensions.

I'd recommend that all capable SDK extension points take advantage of this functionality. There are some early adopters already in Platform UI and Debug with some positive feedback. For example, Paul Webster smiles every-time he has to create a command or key-binding now with this functionality... in the past he would cry :)

If you're still confused about this functionality, feel free to ping me or catching me IRC. On the next arch call, we can address specific concerns.

Cheers,

---
Chris Aniszczyk | IBM Lotus | Eclipse Committer |
http://mea-bloga.blogspot.com | +1.860.839.2465

Back to the top