Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Nov 8, 2006

Mike, Ian, John, (and everyone else)
I don't know about branding, but it was very clear that the goal of names for the simultaneous release was to avoid confusion between the individual projects (who have numbers) and the collection of projects (had a name). (See http://developers.sun.com/learning/javaoneonline/2006/tools/TS-4311.pdf#page=47).

Putting the same name (Europa) on one version of one of the projects and the collection seems to be inviting confusion - are we talking about the project or the stack?

Mike Wilson wrote:
This seems like an over-reaction to me. The current version of Mac OS X isn't hurt by being known as "Tiger", nor is the current version of Windows by being named "Vista".

I think the tide in the industry right now *is* to name versions rather than number them. It seems like an easy way for us to be "exciting and current".

In any case, putting a "3.3" on the splash screen for Europa is going to seem fairly odd to any of the projects that aren't going out under that number. I think we should fix this.
To the splash screen point: an easy solution would be to have the Europa download be a simple run-time with a splash screen that says "Europa" and that the Eclipse SDK download (the big zip file that many/most people are still downloading) have a splash screen that says "3.3". This would, I think, cause less confusion.

- Bjorn

P.S. As for whether the Platform project wants to call its release "3.3" or "Tiger" - I don't care - Ian probably does and probably has good arguments, but as long as the name is not the same as the collection name, it seems fine to me.

P.P.S. But I seem to be a magnet for controversy right now [1,2] so perhaps I'm wrong about this too...

[1] http://wassim-melhem.blogspot.com/2006/11/questions-not-complaints.html
[2] http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.foundation/msg01291.html

Back to the top