RE: [eclipse-dev] Best practices for provisional APIs

I agree with Mike. "provisional api" or "internal provisional", whatever you call it, is just a guess anyway because you reserve the right to change it.

From: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Wilson
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 9:01 AM
To: General development mailing list of the Eclipse project.
Subject: Re: [eclipse-dev] Best practices for provisional APIs

I find the notion of provisional api to be basically just an oximoron. We should have only two categories: API, and things that are internal because they haven't yet stabilized/been validated enough to be API.

McQ.

Pascal Rapicault/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/17/06 08:44

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[eclipse-dev] Best practices for provisional APIs

Hi,

Should we adopt a consistent way to indicate provisional APIs across the SDK?

More specifically I'm wondering what are the rules for

- the package name. should the API be in the package where it would belong if it was real API, or should it be in an internal package?

- the javadoc markup. should the javadoc say: experimental, provisional, something else?

Aside from those questions, I propose to add to the javadoc an explicit request for feedback from the users and explaining where this feedback should be given (a mailing-list, a bug report, ...)

PaScaL