[eclipse-dev] Support for IContextProvider

The User Assistance team will soon move from the yellow info-pop to a
versatile Help view for your context help/dynamic help needs. Since the
view can potentially stay around as you work, it must be prodded to update
its content. Visual parts that register a static help Id are automatically
covered.

However, there is a number of contributors that add their own help listener
and react to help events by calling 'displayHelp(String contextId)' and
similar methods. This will still work but once up, the view will not be
able to update as you click around.

In order to fix this problem, we kindly ask you to support the new
IContextProvider interface using the standard platform support for
adapters. Your visual part (editor, view etc.) that handles its own help
events should be able to return an instance of IContextProvider when asked
using 'getAdapter(IContextProvider.class)'. You can:

1) Override 'getAdapter' yourself
2) Register an adapter factory programmatically
3) Register an adapter factory via the extension point

The interface is fairly simple and all you need to know is already in the
Javadoc. Nevertheless, we will provide any and all assistance should it be
needed.

The consequence of not doing this work eventually will be that your
view/editor will have lame content in the help view, causing the users to
never bother opening it again. And we don't want that :-).

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM