[eclipse-dev] Issues with large-scale development

One of the major development themes for Eclipse 3.1 is to improve support for "Large-scale development" in Eclipse. This includes improving collaboration for large, distributed teams, but it also encompasses support for large workspaces. The Eclipse committers form a large, distributed group, so we have no problems gathering requirements for the first aspect of the problem. However, we don't tend to work on very large projects or have very large workspaces (Eclipse is broken up into many small projects and each committer tends to only work with a handful of them).  This makes it difficult for us to see the most pressing and important problems for those working in such environments.  Bug reports have helped us identify some areas with room for improvement, such as project creation (bug 74392), recursive deletion (bug 10628), and building (bug 60803). We are making progress on these fronts, but want to make sure we are not missing other problem areas for users with very large workspaces and/or locally mounted remote file systems.

This is a general call for those using Eclipse for large-scale development to let us know what the major problem areas are. What operations are very slow? Could the UI be improved or made more responsive during long operations?  We are particularly interested in applications of Eclipse beyond the Java IDE realm, such as in CDT and web tools. Don't hesitate to also remind us about old bugs that have already been reported that are still important to you, as they sometimes get lost in bugzilla.

Please respond with issues and suggestions on the platform-core-dev mailing list.  We don't promise to address all of the problems that people may raise, although help with identifying problems and implementing and testing solutions can greatly improve a bug's chances of being fixed. Clearly there is a lot of potential work in this area, so we want to ensure that we are focused on the areas with the largest potential gain for the Eclipse community.

Back to the top