Re: [eclipse-dev] Polish: Improving modal progress feedback

This is a fair concern but we should keep in mind that we still have the
test passes ahead of us and until
M9 we want to address high value polish items. This happens to be one of
them. So let's
analyse the aftershock potential and distinguish between different cases:

a)    converting the 'true, *' cases:
      The risk for aftershocks is minimal. Your application
      code doesn't have to change and the IProgressService
      is in use by several components since a while.
      There are no arguments for not doing a).

b)    converting 'false, *' so that the operation can run with
'forked=true':
      This is requires code changes and has an opportunity for aftershock.
      So let's dissect this case further:
      -0    using false, false was an oversight...

      -1    the operation doesn't lock any resources or is using only a
fine grained
            lock (i.e. a file) then converting to
IProgressService.run(false, false, ...)
            is OK and this is the same amount of effort as a)

      -2    if the operation locks the entire workspace then you should
            investigate into a conversion. The potential for running into
            a blocked situation is high and since you run in the UI thread
            there is no way to inform the user about what is going on.

The hope is that 'false, false' isn't that popular.
So how many of the bad b-2 cases do you have?

--erich

             Dejan Glozic
             <dejan@xxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             eclipse-dev-admin                                          cc
             @eclipse.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [eclipse-dev] Polish: Improving
             05/13/2004 04:13          modal progress feedback
             PM

             Please respond to
             eclipse-dev@eclip
                  se.org

I agree that the new progress service is a clear improvement over our
existing code. The only concern I have is that this request came so late in
the game - we may not have enough runaway to handle all the aftershocks of
the changes, if any.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D2/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

             Erich Gamma
             <erich_gamma@ch.i
             bm.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             eclipse-dev-admin                                          cc
             @eclipse.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [eclipse-dev] Polish: Improving
             05/13/2004 06:15          modal progress feedback
             AM

             Please respond to
                eclipse-dev

Supporting concurrent operations requires more sophistcated ways to show
modal progress. As part of the responsivness effort additional progress
support was implemented in the class IProgressService. The existing way to
show progress with the ProgressMonitorDialog is still working. However, to
improve the user experience it is required to migrate to the new
IProgressService. This is therefore an important polish item for 3.0.

The document "Showing Modal Progress in Eclipse 3.0" describes how to
migrate to the new IProgressService:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-core-home/documents/plan_concurrency_modal_progress.html

If there are issues for a component to do this migration then please let me
know.

--erich