Re: [eclipse-dev] Installer for Windows version of Eclipse

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:13:08PM +0100, J. Henning Schwentner wrote:

> >Same here. I would admit that having an RPM sounds nice (it would be able
> >to check the dependencies) but then, different linux distributions call
> >their RPM different (so there was gtk+_new and gtk+2 and gtk2+, IIRC)
> >which makes dependencies useless unless you have one RPM per linux dist.
> >This looks like a big waste of disk space on the Eclipse server in my
> >eyes.
> >
> Yes, the classical problem with RPM on different distributions...
> Nevertheless I think, there should be RPMs for all distributions. I
> don't know if  the disk space would be a problem for the Eclipse server,
> but it would not mean more traffic, because everybody would only
> download the package he requires.

What I mean is this: If you would create an installer which includes
all possible options, there would be only one download (here I agree)
but that download would be 800MB big and that would waste the bandwidth
of the servers.

Therefore, I direct you to the old discussion which we had about
adding support for dependencies in plugins and dependency servers.

When you install Eclipse, you just download a 1MB core (like Mozilla,
for example). This core then asks for all the plugins you want,
downloads them from the nearest location (so no need to browse the
Eclipse download mirrors list) and installs them.

IMHO, this is the only real way to get a grip on this situation.

I mean, lets face it, feature sites are nice and simple but they
don't help users to get what they need: An easy way to get a list
of possible plugins, where to find them and how to resolve
the dependencies.

http://www.philmann-dark.de/

Back to the top