AW: [eclipse-dev] Installer for Windows version of Eclipse

Hi!

>Altough I think that a net installer would be nice my opinion is that a

>lot of people would prefer a full installer. For people new to Eclipse
>it is confusing that there are different packages. If you want support
>for languages other than Java, you have to look at a different download

>location.

That's a problem of packaging and would not be solved by providing a lot
of installers. You have to create several installers for all possible
combinations and that would only blew up the list of variations.

>Since we were using an open source installer-creator like InnoSetup,
>everybody could be sure that there are no dlls installed.

I don't see a relation between OpenSource Installer and application
DLLs. Unpacking a ZIP is so simple and you know that you can remove
anything and nothing is left in a system registry or in hidden system
folders.

IMHO it's completly unnecessary because Eclipse ZIPs are used by
software developers either for any kind of software development or for
packaging Eclipse based applications. Every software developer should be
able to extract a ZIP. BTW, some Linux distributors already created
Eclipse packages for their distributions with the result that most don't
use them because they are out of date and it's sooooo easy to get most
recent ZIPs.

Installers only make sence for RCP clients but then every RCP creator
will create an installer that is customized to the RCP application.

Cu, Gunnar

Back to the top