[eclipse-dev] Purposal for the packages problem

I have followed this thread closely and after reading many valid points I think that an intersting and specially easy and factible (AFAIK) solution would be to act in two different ways, which I think are rather simple and definitely compatible with the component model of eclipse.
This would be:

* Make update sites for all eclipse official project (I don't think this would be to hard, maybe the projects can handle or a particular project could do that)
* Add in the SDK those update sites
* optionally prompt on first start for downloading/seraching more components

What happens here? and why I belive this is good?

The component model of eclipse is not violated by providing a full blown package
Download size of SDK does not increase (bandwith usage may do)
Other 3rd party popular plugins can easily be added like this (even a page where you can register your update site and eclipse version would handle that, and a list of update sites obtained from there could be added to the default install)

I belive the key issue for the end user is simplicity, As an user, me, I don't care if I download all packages at one or one by one as far as it is easy. I wouldn't matter going to software udpates and click a few plugins, and go for a coffe...

I think that this could be a real good solution for the sort term.

Back to the top