RE: [eclipse-dev] Combo packages proposal

I'm not against the update site idea or the dynamic zip idea - by all means investigate that. Meanwhile though, doing one or two combo packages as part of the automated builds would be a low-tech way to solve the problem. There is already a precedent: you have the Platform Runtime binary, the JDT Runtime binary, and the Eclipse SDK binary which combines them both (+PDE).

Jeff McAffer wrote:
> For every person that asks for the combo pack, there
> is some one complaining that the SDK is too big.

You're not going to make everybody happy but you can leave the SDK and the existing packages the way they are and make this an additional option.

> Combo packs do not scale...

Might be better than umpteen separate downloads per user, and redownloads when they get the wrong version?

> and they IMHO are fundamentally at odds with the component model
> put forward by Eclipse (i.e., why should Eclipse get to ship a
> huge wad when we tell everyone else to use components, update sites, ...)

I agree. But until there's a better way available, this could be useful.

Ed Burnette wrote:
> Instead of 8 downloads, the user would just have one.

Actually I just did it, and for my list of components (not counting Web tools) it was 13 downloads because of some components having separate source, doc, and binary zips. I just got the latest integration build of everything but I'm not sure it will all work together. It's going to take a while to unpack everything into the right place and find out.

Back to the top