Re: [eclipse-dev] RE: Forums vs. mailing lists

How about simply combining the mailing lists and newsgroup pages into a single communications page. Place the newsgroup information prominently at the top with a good explanation of its purpose.

There seems no good reason not to mirror the newsgroup with a mailing list if it doesn't impact the existing newsgroup community.

Dave Wathen
dave.wathen@xxxxxxxxxxxx

jed.wesley-smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all, just a lurker here.

Its pretty simple really why people come here, its a basic usability
question, path of least resistance and all.

then the first option is eclipse-dev (description "General development
mailing list of the Eclipse Project."). In this sequence there is nothing
obvious saying "for the development of the Eclipse platform itself ONLY",
or "you will be flamed for asking dumb user questions here"! Indeed, this
is the default, most simple, easy, user friendly option, yet it is the list
that is only really relevant to people with deep expertise and involvement
in the Eclipse platform development (and lurkers interested in the how
process works ;-). People generally don't read nice polite messages like
the "Before you ask..." section, or if they do they skim. Think about the
path that the bulk of the web-site users will traverse, not the experts
they are always the minority.

My suggestion would be, put eclipse-dev at the bottom or hidden in the
middle, put a really obscure one that most people won't need at the top
(maybe eclipse-cdt ;-), and put a nice big red bold note saying the mailing
lists are ONLY for development of eclipse, not usage.

or, maybe have some eclipse-user mailing lists at the top - hey! nice
newsgroup mirrored user mailing lists, mmmm...

cheers all, top stuff,
- jed.

|         |           Chris McLaren     |
|         |           <Chris_McLaren@ca.|
|         |           ibm.com>          |
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           eclipse-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org       |
|         |           11/02/2004 08:42  |
|         |           AM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           eclipse-dev       |

This request has been surfacing over and over again for at least a year,
but I don't recall seeing a response as to why we aren't changing the user
newsgroups over to user mailing lists (?). I know we've already had the
debates on the relative technical merits of newsgroups and mailing lists on
this list in the past, and considering we could also have a newsgroup
mirror of any mailing list, this should be something we could change at
this point.

Every single day the 'developer' mailing lists receive 'user' questions and
everyday there is the same reply from whatever developer happens to chime
in at the time: 'please ask this question on the newsgroup. this mailing
list is for 'developers' only.' Users often reply that they didn't even
realize the newsgroups existed. Why is that?

Although the mailing lists web page has been revised to stress that it is
for 'developers', it is still easy for a user to confuse the term if they
don't read the page carefully. After all, a user of Eclipse is himself a
'developer'. This is especially problematic for the countless users whose
first language is not English.

I expect most people go to the mailing lists first because that's what they
are naturally expecting to have to use. Then they look for the best list to
ask their question on. Perhaps if there were both 'users' and 'developers'
mailing lists, the mailing list web page might actually be clearer, and
traffic would be better directed.

Chris.

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain information
that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person
responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, you should not read,
copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of
delivery to the addressee. If you have received this email in error, please
delete and advise us immediately.

begin:vcard
fn:Dave Wathen
n:Wathen;Dave