Re: [eclipse-dev] The ongoing migration saga

as the 'standard' rule:

> Null Argument Values - For each reference type argument, specify the
behavior when null is passed in. See two examples. NOTE: If possible,
document the general null argument behavior at the package or class level,

such as causing a java.lang.NullPointerException to be thrown. Deviations
from this behavior can then be documented at the method level.

differs from this:

> The Eclipse API follows the standard Java practice of explicitly
specifying where null is allowed for all API method parameters, return
results, and field (and also elements of arrays or collections). If the
spec does not *explicitly* state that null is allowed, it is *never*
allowed. The results of passing null are generally left unspecified
(implementation might throw some kind of runtime exception, or might not).

jim, perhaps we could include the latter statement as an exception
in http://dev.eclipse.org/javadoc.html?

chris.

Back to the top