[eclipse-dev] deprecations

If you target the new runtime (i.e., use the nightly build) you will notice quite a number of deprecations.

                        DON'T PANIC!

First, these are not breaking changes.  The runtime's compatibility layer (the things containing the deprecations) is part of the Eclipse 3.0 story and is fully functioning.  Your code will continue to function normally.  If you have concerns that your code is not working and suspect the runtime please consider the migration guide at:
        http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-core-home/runtime/index.html
and by all means, contact the core team on the platform-core-dev mailing list or by entering bug reports.

You will notice that the guides are not complete.  We are working hard on this and plan to have them largely done by next week's integration build.

In light of that, we recommend that you put off addressing the deprecations until the integration build and porting guides are available.  Again, this does not affect the running of your code and adapting to the new API, while recommended, is not mandatory for 3.0.

Jeff

p.s., If you are having nightmares involving hordes of little yellow triangles, consider using the JDT preferences (Preferences->Java->Compiler->Unused Code) to "ignore" deprecations.

Back to the top