Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Nov 12, 2003

Jan> In the debian packages, this is currently achieved by
Jan> * patching PlatformConfiguration to setup /usr/share/eclipse as
Jan>   readonly *in all cases*.
Jan> * setting a 'links' file with 'path=r /usr/local/share', using
Jan>   "internal API" to ensure that this location is also readonly.
Jan> [ etc ]

Could you put this in eclipse bugzilla?  And send me the bug number? :-)

I think this sounds pretty reasonable; I'd like to put this same
patch in the Red Hat version of eclipse.  Also, from what I've seen,
changes like this get more traction with eclipse.org if they show up
in bugzilla...

Jan> one is about not using the normal unix 'highlight and paste'
Jan> clipboard (eclipse is the *only* app, where I *have to* use
Jan> strg+c and strg+v, removing one of the most loved look&feel
Jan> issues of *ix...).

Yeah, this is an important one, I voted for it.

There's another one you might consider voting for, that I think is
important to Linux hackers, and that is getting robust permission
support in eclipse.  E.g., with an unpatched eclipse, if you check out
gcc, all the configure scripts wind up non-executable.  We've hacked
around this locally, but eclipse deserves a better fix...

Tom

Back to the top