RE: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Nov 12, 2003

eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 11/12/2003 01:00:41 PM:

> > Discussion Topics:
> >
> > >- Using features to provide finer grain upgrade paths for selected
> > >components of the SDK? For example, it could make sense to
> > have CVS as a
> > >separate feature and allow us to release upgrades, major bug fixes,
> > >outside the SDK release schedule. Comments?
>
> This looks like a good idea, but pretty much assumes that Update Manager has
> a command-line version or that we use something like Maven or Debian's APT
> system for managing versioning and dependencies.

Why would this need a command-line update utility for this? In fact, I would argue
that one should use the automatic updates scheduler (in M3) to periodically be notified
about available updates.
Currently the problem is more about the way nested feature updates work (or rather don't :-)
but there is some investigation work on making patches easier to create and install.

> I haven't looked at Update Manager in awhile; does anyone know if it can run
> headless from the command line?

Yes, take a look at
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-update-home/doc/working/documentation/standalone_update.html

> A lot of other Java-based open-source projects are starting to use Maven for
> this; have we looked at it?
>

> Dave

-Dorian

Back to the top