Re: [eclipse-dev] Schema doc validation

Bob,

There is a history behind extension point schemas. In the core is a problem
with open-ended nature of plug-in manifests. They can have a static portion
(elements with a known and fixed grammar) and a dynamic portion
(extensions) that is under control of the extension point providers. The
problem we tried to solve is how to validate without a complete DTD/schema.
Originally we used DTDs for each extension point, but DTD was too limiting
in that it didn't allow us to integrate documentation and grammar, and also
how to embed PDE-related information. Then we looked at XML schema and
although it had what we needed (annotations), it was definitely overkill in
its full spec.

Therefore, extension point schema we use in Eclipse is a subset of the full
XML spec. Originally, we tried to make that subset still a valid schema,
but as you pointed out, somewhere along the way we drifted a bit from that
goal :-). Of course, better late than never - we can still go back to 100%
compatible mode, but why?

Extension point schema is only useful to Eclipse (PDE, to be exact). We use
it to validate manifest files (using a builder) and to generate reference
extension point documentation (both on the fly and as part of the regular
build using an Ant task). It is important to use PDE schema editor in order
to guarantee that you will only create the schema subset we support. If you
use a generic XML schema editor, you can easily create elements we don't
know what to do about.

Please reply to pde-ui-dev mailing list only since this is a predominantly
PDE topic.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

                      "Bob Foster"
                      <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>        To:       <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                  cc:
                      eclipse-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re: [eclipse-dev] Schema doc validation
                      eclipse.org

                      06/25/2003 07:12
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      eclipse-dev

Is there some move afoot to turn these into actual XML Schema documents? A
random sampling shows these problems...

- Improper namespace use
- No value for point attributes of extension elements (not even in
documentation)
- Only generic documentation for extensions

I would like to process these "schemas" and turn them into a RELAX NG
schema
that can actually be used for validation, user assist, etc.

Bob