Re: [eclipse-dev] M1 on OS X (Install Problems)

Bill,

I checked the logs and the first line consisted of exceptions relating to
Xerces.  After checking the extensions folder, there were three jar files
that were there:

    xercesImel.jar
    xml-apis.jar
    xmlParserAPIs.jar

I removed those three jar files and Eclipse loaded fine.  Unfortunately,
this does bring me to a question...

I am using Xerces for some of my projects.  Will I have to (or should I)
change this?  Are there problems using Xerces with Eclipse?  If there are,
or if I should not use Xerces, what parsers are people using with Eclipse?

No, you can use Xerces for your projects without problems.
The only problem you've been running into is, that Eclipse itself relies
on a specific version of Xerces (and it has this version in one of its
plugins).
If you install another Xerces on your boot classpath, Eclipse will find that
one first, and if this version is incompatible, will crash.

I suggest to place the Xerces library into a directory not on the boot classpath
and use it in your project as an external jar.

--andre

Back to the top