Re: [eclipse-dev] comment on draft 3.0 plan - need better upgrade options

> Delete everything ... except workspace directory

This isn't a good thing to rely upon though - we
should not assume future versions of Eclipse will have
compatible metadata (e.g. the .metadata directory
contents).

One other problem I had when I moved from 2.0 to 2.1
(while keeping the old workspace/.metadata directory)
is the format of the .externalToolBuilders directory
seemed to have changed; I had to delete it and
recreate the definition in 2.1.  Little things like
that is what I'm afraid of losing when I upgrade.

I just think it would be a better design to explicitly
provide an upgrade path through an installation tool.
Or, at the very least, have an installation doc or
README on how to successfully upgrade and not lose
anything.  As it stands, even that trick of keeping
the workspace or .metadata directory wasn't documented
well (if at all; I think I just guessed at that when I
tried it).

John