[eclipse-dev] Suggestion for the next version of Eclipse

Hello Everyone:

I thought up a few more things that I would like to suggest for the next version of Eclipse, Eclipse JDT and the core framework.

Auto hiding - Both IDEA and VS.NET have this feature. A view auto hides when the user is are not using it. This is really nice for
view that users only use a small portion of the time. Unlike Fast View, auto hides do not change location. For example the Ant View
would hide off to the left of the screen by default not move over to the right side of the screen. This particularly important for
views on the bottom such as task or console.

Improve the VCS Synchronize to display as a grid as well as a tree. I think that there is already bug about this in bugzilla.

Increase the context sensitive options. Here are some simple examples, in the JDT Package Explorer properties on folder should allow
the user to define it as source or output folder. It should also allow these features to be turned off. Menus, toolbars and dialogs
should match the perspective the user is using. In the CVS perspectives, the user shouldn't see menus for Source, Refactor, Tomcat,
Run, or their respective icons.

One feature I miss from Visual Basic/VC is the method drop down toolbar. I could select any method to work on my select it via
handier than Outline view

Create or suggest Common Project format and API for projects. Please push to this setup as a JSR that is support by all IDE and ANT.
I'm sick and tired of having to create project in Eclipse, IntelliJ and Ant!  This shouldn't be this time consuming!

I'd like to see support for multiple views on the same document such as synched WYSIWYG mode for JSP, HTML file much like
DreamWeaver, FrontPage or GoLive.

Add support in the Ant view to display dependencies and support create list of tasks to execute.

Regards,

Jeff

Back to the top