[eclipse-dev] Re: What's next for eclipse (round 2)

On 25.04.2003 23:35:04 eclipse-dev-request wrote:
>Submitter: <Lars.Sonchocky-Helldorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Request: Multi-file search and replace, support for regular expressions
>
>I am not familiar with BBedit so please excuse my ignorance. What is it
>about their support
>for this feature that makes it particularly good?
>
>This would be a useful feature to add, however doing multi-file search
and
>replace is a
>solution that was acceptable last century. The 21'st century approach is
>refactoring.
>Wouldn't it be cool if you could have refactoring that supported java and

>jsps?

Well, refactoring might be THE solution for embedded Java code in those
.jsps (and I regularly use refactoring for Java code).
But I have also to change the no-code parts (read: html) of those .jsps as
well. For instance replacing image paths or simply changing some texts
(think of i18n, like replacing "email address" with "Email Adresse" on
multiple pages). Tasks like this occur here regularly (some due to some
suboptimal technical design desicions for those websites, which I am not
in a position to change) having a multi-file search and replace would ease
those tasks a lot.

Thanks, Lars

Back to the top