[eclipse-dev] Problem running Eclipse 2.0.2 gtk under SuSE Linux 8.2 (kernel version 2.4.20)

This is the most recent distribution of Linux. Eclipse worked fine for me with an older Linux distribution (and works fine for me under Windows).

Perhaps Eclipse 2.0.2, as compiled, does not work with the Linux 2.4.20 kernel?

I saw something about having to use Suns 1.4.1 jvm with the 2.4.20 kernel, instead of Suns 1.3 jvm because it wasnt built to handle the new threading in Linux. I tried running Eclipse with both the Sun 1.4.1 jvm and Blackdowns 1.4.1, yet Eclipse exhibited the exactly the same problem when run from both jvms.

Problem: it appears that any operation which brings up a dialog box indicating that an operation is in progress has that dialog box stay up forever prohibiting any other operations.

I would very much like to use Eclipse with the current version of Linux. Has anyone got Eclipse to run on a Linux 2.4.20 kernel (e.g. Red Hat 9 or SuSE 8.2  both of which were released in the last 10 days)?

Steve

Back to the top