Re: [eclipse-dev] What's happening after 2.1?

I realize that the suggestion may seem heretical to some Eclipse
developers/users or Java "purists", but there seems to be growing demand for
an alternative to VS.NET, and I for one have been searching for a way to use
Eclipse as a VS.NET development environment; I can't think of a better
platform for any development right now.

I hope it's not inappropriate to inject this line of thought into the
discussion, but the initial question "opened the door". Let me know if this
should continue in another forum.

I have included an Eclipse  newsgroup message that I found today that I
believe is characteristic of the thinking about a VS.NET alternative, and
hints at nascent activity that might be worth investigating. There is also
an open source product, SharpDevelop
(http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx), that provides a
pretty complete VS.NET-like IDE, but it's written in C#. Too bad all that
development effort didn't go toward using the Eclipse platform.

I've developed software for over 26 years and Eclipse is the best
environment I've used yet (with Smalltalk a close second, IMHO). The fact
that it is based upon a platform that was designed from the get-go to be a
"universal" development platform, begs for this kind of project. Of course
this borders on a religious issue...

Earlier message from the "eclipse.tools" newsgroup: