From: Bruce Korb [mailto:bkorb@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 2:05 PM
To: eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [eclipse-dev] Java 1.2 eclipses Java 1.4 for eclipse

Jed Anderson wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> You can specify the VM Eclipse should use by specifying the -vm argument
> when you launch Eclipse.  For example:
>
> ./eclipse -vm /usr/jdk1.4.1/bin/java

Close.  It got me to where I could figure out where to go and what to do.

   ./eclipse -vm /usr/j2se/bin/java

and then once I knew about that magic, changing the /usr/java symlink
to point to /usr/j2se did the trick without the command line arg.

SO:

1.  Thank you
2.  enable ./eclipse --help (or ./eclipse -?) without requiring java :-)
3.  have a simple man page that has some bootstrapping/startup help
4.  set up a README that talks about these issues for Sun/Solaris and
    whatever else about whatever other platforms
5.  If /usr/java/bin/java doesn't work, it could still be coded to
    grope around in known, standard configurations viz., /usr/jdk1.4.1
    /usr/j2se, etc., etc.  That kind of helpfulness is greatly appreciated
    for a miniscule coding cost....

Thanks again. - Bruce