[eclipse-dev] Recent problems with Eclipse downloads

Hi folks,

No doubt all of you have noticed intermittent problems with Eclipse downloads in the last week or so.

Unfortunately, we are the victim of our own popularity.  Since the release of 2.1 Release Candidate 0 (also known as M5) we have been serving up an unprecedented number of downloads.  47,000+ in the last 24 hours alone.  Both our server capacity and connection capacity are being taxed.

Over the next couple of days we are doing the following to make things a little better

        1) Put our backup Eclipse server on-line to serve download requests.  This will be transparent to users and downloads will be round robined between the primary and backup eclipse download servers.  (Naturally this will only help with hardware load and not bandwidth limitations).

        2) Adding FTP downloads to our website.  FTP is a little more efficient than HTTP.  As well, with anonymous FTP available you have the chance to use resumable FTP clients to make your download attempts more reliable when the servers are hammered.

In the medium term our IT folks are looking at possibly upgrading servers and bandwidth.  However, we already have very good servers and very good bandwidth for a humble open source project.  I'm not sure of the exact details but I can assure you we are not running a 486 on an ADSL connection ;-)

Naturally the only way to scale is to get some Eclipse mirrors.  Eclipse mirrors have to be approved by the eclipse.org board (or at least the Eclipse PMC).  If you have big servers and lots of bandwidth and would like to mirror Eclipse we would be very appreciative.  Of course getting the appropriate approvals may take some time.  If you are interested in hosting en Eclipse mirror you could send an email to webmastet@xxxxxxxxxxx with a brief description of:
        1) Your capacity to serve up Eclipse downloads.
        2) The geographic location of your servers.

Our webmaster can pass on the information to the PMC for use in their decision making process.

Finally, thanks for your patience during this busy time and thanks especially for your interest in and support of Eclipse.

...Dean...

Mauro Daniel Ardolino <mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/13/2003 10:57 AM