Re: [eclipse-dev] FreeBSD eclipse port

James,

This is interesting.  Some questions:

- Can you summarize the two changes you had to make?
- When you do the build, do you compile the C code or do you build the
binaries separately and then just include them?
- Can you tell us more about the approach that you are taking?

Some answers:
- The build process is quite complex.  The source builds you download
include a mess of generated build.xml files. These are generated based on
the various OS, window system and architecture configurations being
requested and are only really designed to build what was being built at the
time they were generated (e.g., they may to have the OS, WS and ARCH values
right in them).  Since FreeBSD/gtk is not one of the standard
configurations you need to generate the build.xmls for that configuration.
To do that you should get the "releng builder" (the mechanism that
generates the build.xmls etc) and update it to know about FreeBSD.

- Also, the build mechanism is an area that we want to look at in 2.2.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

                      "James E. Flemer"
                      <jflemer@xxxxxxx.e        To:       <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      du>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  [eclipse-dev] FreeBSD eclipse port
                      eclipse-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      02/08/2003 05:13
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      eclipse-dev

I guess I will post this here too.  I mentioned a few days
ago I was working on a FreeBSD port of Eclipse, well I have
updated my port for Eclipse GTK to the M5 release.  It
compiles with only two source code changes, as did M4.  I
(still) do not know the appropriate way to add a new target
to the build process so I just build using the Linux target
for now.  I haven't had time to figure out how the Ant
build.xml files work.  If someone who is knowledgeable
about how each target is organized could just add a
freebsd-gtk target (copying the linux-gtk one), I could
submit the necessary patches for it.  Anyone who would like
to look at or test the FreeBSD port, please do so (and give
me feedback):

http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~flemej/freebsd/eclipse-port/

-James